The M.A. and Lila Self Leadership Academy is pleased to announce that 11 new students have been accepted into the Academy. These students will join an existing cohort of 14 Leadership Academy Scholars at Illinois Institute of Technology.
The Academy accepted 7 Scholars that will begin their sophomore or junior year starting Fall 2017:
- Andrew Adams, Second-Year Communications (Science Journalism)
- Emmalee Ciriacks, Second-Year Biomedical Engineering
- Xavier John, Third-Year Civil Engineering
- Muhammad Hamza Khan, Third-Year Electrical Engineering
- Adithya Sudhan, Third-Year Electrical Engineering
- Zan Syed, Third-Year Psychology
- Diana Wu, Second-Year Chemical Engineering
Additionally and for the first time ever, the Academy accepted 4 Scholars that will be freshman starting Fall 2017. These 4 freshman were selected while finishing up their high school careers and will enter Illinois Tech as part of the Academy:
- Anthea Gonzalez, First-Year Information Technology & Management
- Nimah Mohiuddin, First-Year Architecture
- Emma Stohlman, First-Year Astrophysics & Engineering Management
- Jacob Wilcox, First-Year Aerospace Engineering
“This is an exceptionally talented group of students who possess an incredible amount of leadership potential,” says George Langlois, Executive Director of the Leadership Academy. “We are looking forward to helping them further develop their leadership skills and watching them contribute these talents to the Illinois Tech community over the next few years."
"We are also very excited to admit our first class of incoming freshman to the Academy as this cohort will be with us until their graduation,” says Rodney Vallejo, Program Manager of the Leadership Academy.
Founded in 2000 and housed within the new Center for Leadership Studies, the Leadership Academy is an undergraduate education initiative that trains students to be capable leaders and empowers them to inspire the same in others. Sponsored through generous gifts from M. A. and Lila Self, and John Mitchell, the academy works to create and implement an effective leadership-development program for all undergraduate students at Illinois Tech; promote a culture of leadership and innovation across the Illinois Tech community; identify, develop, and support students with exceptional leadership potential, evaluate leadership development outcomes at the individual and program levels.
More information about the Leadership Academy is available at: leadership.iit.edu/leadership-academy.