The M.A. and Lila Self Leadership Academy is pleased to announce that 12 new students have been accepted into the Academy. These students will join an existing cohort of 13 Leadership Academy Scholars at Illinois Institute of Technology.
The Academy accepted 11 Scholars that will begin their sophomore or junior year starting Fall 2018:
- Daniel Allen (Second-year Architecture)
- Monica Bhagavan (Third-year Biomedical Engineering)
- Courtney Curcio (Third-year Architecture)
- Jillian Edwards (Third-year Civil Engineering)
- Dhanisha Geerdharry (Third-year Mechanical Engineering)
- Elijah Irizarry (Third-year Information Technology & Management)
- Zahra Khuwaja (Second-year Architectural Engineering)
- Roland Knowlden (Third-year Architecture)
- Keara Rigg (Third-year Chemistry)
- Asma Shuaibi (Third-year Biomedical Engineering)
- Iris Uwizeyimana (Third-year Computer Engineering)
Additionally the Academy accepted one Scholar that will be freshman starting Fall 2018. This incoming freshman was selected while finishing up her high school career and will enter Illinois Tech as part of the Academy:
- Sarah Kay Stephens (First-year Architectural Engineering)
“This cohort of new Leadership Academy Scholars are exceptional, intelligent, and full of leadership potential,” says George Langlois, Executive Director of the Leadership Academy. “We look forward to helping them further develop their leadership skills, supporting their personal and professional growth, and watching them lead the Illinois Tech community over the next few years."
"I am excited to witness the leadership skills and abilities of these new Scholars and hope each of them continue to develop into strong leaders that impact the world,” says Rodney Vallejo, Program Manager of the Leadership Academy.
Founded in 2000 and housed within the Center for Leadership Studies, the Leadership Academy is an undergraduate education initiative that trains students to be capable leaders and empowers them to inspire the same in others. Sponsored through generous gifts from M. A. and Lila Self and John Mitchell, the Academy works to create and implement an effective leadership-development program for all undergraduate students at Illinois Tech; promote a culture of leadership and innovation across the Illinois Tech community; identify, develop, and support students with exceptional leadership potential, evaluate leadership development outcomes at the individual and program levels.